Heights Methodist Church was started in 1899 at the request of pioneer C.M.
Blake. The present 2-story brick church was completed in 1911 and
was the congregational home of many prominent early Tampa families:
The Blakes, the Giddens, the Linebaughs... The 3-story Sunday School
Building was built to the north of the Church in 1927, design by the
highly regarded Tampa architect Frank Winn, whose signature architecture
graces many historic buildings in Tampa.
The Church is one of the few surviving outstanding examples of Greek
Revival architecture, with its distinguishing dentil and modillion
cornices, classical fluted columns with corinthian capitals, pedimented
gable entrances, divided lites and fan transoms.
The building has been expuisitely restored by Tampa architects, John
Tennision, AIA and Vivian Salaga Tennison, AIA, and developer, Russ
Versaggi. The building has been adaptively re-designed as a 32
trendy high-end true urban loft apartments in the Sunday School building
raging in sizze from 800 to 1300 square feet and 5000 spqare feet of
artist studio rentals in the former sanctuary.
More information about the Art space and the lofts can be found on
their website, www.sanctuarylofts.com.